Former Rock of Love star, Bret Michaels, who is currently starring on this season’s Celebrity Apprentice is reported as being in critical condition after suffering a brain hemorrhage (bleeding at the base of his brain stem).
According to PEOPLE, Bret, 47, was rushed to an undisclosed hospital Thursday night after complaining of excruciating headaches. A source says, “After several CAT scans, MRIs and an angiogram, [doctors] decided to keep Michaels in the ICU and are running several tests to determine the cause. [It] will be touch and go for the next few days while he is under intense observation.”
And just how serious is Bret’s condition? Well according to TMZ, those not receiving proper medical treatment after suffering a subarachnoid hemorrhage have a 20% to 30% chance of experiencing a second bleed within the first month, and that second bleed yields a 70% mortality rate.
The good news for now is Bret is said to be “awake, in good spirits and talking.” Rock of Love season 2 winner Ambre Lake tells TMZ she’s spoken with people who are close to Bret who say he’s stabilized and conscious. However the next 24 to 48 hours are said to be critical, and Bret will be closely monitored.
Also speaking out is ROL season 3 winner, Taya Parker. Taya, who is no longer with Bret, spoke to RadarOnline, giving them the following statement: “It’s been a very difficult time. Between his appendectomy and this current situation, everyone that cares for him has been vigilant with their prayers and hopes for a full recovery. My heart and thoughts are with him always. Bret’s determination and drive have always been one of his most endearing qualities. His love for his family and his fans makes his heart a heart that’s larger than life. Bret has overcome many adversities and struggles in his life, and he always handles himself with dignity. I could not be more proud of him, the person he is, and the loves that drive his life.”
Sending prayers and well wishes to Bret.