A group of aspiring models showed up for last week’s America’s Next Top Model auditions in New York last Saturday but do any of them really stand a chance at being the Next Top Model?
According to the NYDailyNews, the answer is no. Their sources claim Tyra Banks and the ANTM producers choose at least some of their contestants at private tryouts and that the open cattle calls around the country are mostly just publicity stunts.
A rep for the CW network declined to comment, while another source claimed, “The producers had already picked some of the girls they wanted in private meetings. They had to sign agreements promising not to reveal how they were chosen.”
Aspiring model Dehea Abraham who flew from Atlanta for the March 14 open call was told by a friend that she didn’t stand a chance. “My friend is a dancer who’s represented by a talent agency that also handles models,” says Abraham. “Someone from the show saw her MySpace page and invited her to a secret pre-audition. My friend doesn’t really want to model. But she figured she’d try it out. She had to sign a confidentiality agreement.” Dehea continues saying, “When I got to New York, she called me and said, ‘Please tell me you’re not in New York City. You’re wasting your time.’”
Another aspiring model Dionne Sherrae, who injured her shoulder in the March 14 fiasco, says she’s “not surprised” to hear that the 13 girls who get into the Top Model House may not all come from cattle calls. “You never hear about people saying, ‘Oh, I stood in line next to that girl.’” Must say she brings up a valid point.
America’s Next Top Model has announced it will be holding an open audition in New York this Saturday. This comes a month after the previously held auditions had to end abruptly due to a riot that broke out.
The Cycle 13 casting call location has yet to be confirmed but will be posted on the CW’s website later this week.
The rules and guidelines for this casting call are a bit different compared to past seasons. For the first time in the show’s history, only females aged 18 to 27 with a height requirement of 5’7″ and under are eligible.
There was a lot of chaos this weekend at the America’s Next Top Model auditions in New York. The stampede began as news of a car that was supposedly on fire spread which caused people to start panicking. Other reports claim a loud noise went off with someone yelling out bomb which then led to the stampede.
This resulted in three arrests and six injuries. All the injuries were minor and the auditions were shut down by the cops.
Tyra Banks and the show’s producer Ken Mok release the statement below to US Weekly. No news yet on wether another audtion will be rescheduled in New York.
“We are concerned by the events that occurred Saturday afternoon in the vicinity of the New York City casting call for the next cycle of America’s Next Top Model. At this time, we still don’t know all the details of what happened or what triggered the incident. We appreciate the efforts of the NYPD and will assist them in any way possible in this matter.”