President Donald Trump has a blunt message for people fighting his White House ballroom project. During an Oval Office exchange with reporters Monday, Trump defended the controversial renovation while dismissing opponents and insisting his administration remains ahead of schedule and below its expected budget.
Donald Trump says ballroom critics are “disloyal” to the country
The 90,000-square-foot ballroom would replace the White House East Wing, but the project has grown into much more than a construction job. The administration originally placed the ballroom’s price at $200 million before estimates climbed to $400 million. The broader White House renovation bill has since approached $1 billion, as per The Washington Post.
Trump called people opposing his White House ballroom project “disloyal” to the country. He made the comment while answering questions from reporters in the Oval Office. He pointed to the White House’s deteriorating exterior and said the administration was “fixing the White House.” He also described the administration’s work as “fixing the White House” and praised the planned ballroom as potentially “the most beautiful ballroom of its kind.”
The project’s financing has also drawn scrutiny. Trump has repeatedly highlighted private donations, although his administration previously pursued federal money for the renovations. According to The Washington Post, officials ultimately assembled funding through various private donors and federal agencies rather than securing a direct congressional appropriation.
Meanwhile, the courtroom fight is moving toward the Supreme Court. The National Trust for Historic Preservation sued over the East Wing demolition, arguing that Trump cannot authorize the replacement without Congress. Some judges have also claimed that the president “exceeded his authority,” while an appeals court has ordered aboveground construction to stop on Friday, August 21. The administration has asked the Supreme Court to intervene.
The National Trust has pushed back sharply, accusing the administration of trying to move faster than judicial review. In its Supreme Court response, the group said it had “no unilateral legal authority” to build the ballroom without congressional approval and urged the justices to stop the project.
Originally Reported by Rishabh Shandilya on Mandatory.
