President Donald Trump said Monday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has replied to his attempts at reengagement. But Trump offered no details about that response, leaving a central question unresolved: what did Kim actually say, and does it signal a real shift toward dialogue?
Donald Trump says Kim Jong Un answered his outreach but has not disclosed details
Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, Trump responded to a question about why Kim had not answered his outreach. “He has,” Trump said. He did not elaborate on the timing, content, or format of the communication. The White House and North Korea’s mission to the United Nations have not officially provided clarification.
The remarks came one day after Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon to scale back joint military exercises with South Korea. He cited costs and Seoul’s refusal to participate in actions against Iran. North Korea has consistently condemned those drills as preparations for invasion. Trump reinforced his softer posture on his Truth Social platform, describing North Korea as “unthreatening and respectful.”
Moreover, Donald Trump’s relationship with Kim Jong Un drove significant attention during his first term. The two leaders met three times between 2018 and 2019. They exchanged letters and held face-to-face summits in Singapore, Hanoi, and the Demilitarized Zone. But those talks collapsed over sanctions relief and the scope of North Korea’s nuclear program. Since then, Pyongyang has expanded its weapons testing and strengthened ties with Russia.
However, the president continues to speak favorably about Kim. “Kim Jong Un has always treated me with great respect,” Trump said on Monday. “I understand him. He understands me.” That tone contrasts with his administration’s criticism of North Korea’s military support for Russia in Ukraine.
Still, the key issue remains unanswered. Trump confirmed that Kim responded but shared no evidence of substantive progress. North Korean state media has not mentioned any exchange with Washington.
Instead, Pyongyang’s official channels highlighted a message from Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov to North Korean Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui about building a “new and righteous world order.”
(Source: Reuters)
Originally reported by Devanshi Basu on Mandatory.
