There will be at least one notable absence when the Survivor 50 winner is crowned later this week. Richard Hatch was the first winner in the history of the show, back in Borneo, becoming a household name because of it and one of the faces of the program for a long time.
A lot has transpired in his life since winning the $1 million prize in Season 1. While Richard returned for Survivor All-Stars, it appears the show has been distancing itself from him in recent years.
Richard served several years in prison for failing to amend his tax returns in the early 2000s, shortly after winning Survivor.
CBS claimed all previous winners were invited
We won’t be seeing every winner at the upcoming Survivor finale. That contradicts what CBS Mornings and numerous outlets reported that all the sole survivors would be on hand. On his X account, Richard said: “I’m the Original Winner, and I WAS NOT INVITED!”
While he’s still highly regarded by Survivor fans and former contestants as a player, the backlash surrounding Richard appears to be something CBS don’t want. Richard claimed that he was cast for Winners at War in Season 40 before the network changed its mind. Survivor host Jeff Probst said they didn’t think the original winner fit the cast they were seeking.
On All-Stars, Richard was subject to a controversial moment with his former Season 1 alliance member, Susan Hawk. Richard, who was naked at the time, rubbed up against her during a challenge, a moment that shocked many contestants and fans.
While his reputation has taken a hit since the show, Richard believes it’s not as bad as other reality personalities. In March, he made a huge claim against Donald Trump, calling him “the worst human being” he’s ever met. Richard previously competed on Celebrity Apprentice, hosted by the now-President.
There are five contestants remaining in the hunt for the $2 million prize on Season 50.
Survivor 50 will air its finale on Wednesday at 8/7c on CBS.
TELL US – DO YOU THINK WE’LL EVER SEE RICHARD HATCH ON SURVIVOR AGAIN?
