Disney took the Federal Communications Commission to court over what it called retaliation against ABC. The Disney lawsuit accused Donald Trump’s administration of targeting the network because officials disliked its programming.
Disney filed the federal lawsuit in Washington, D.C., on August 18, seeking protection for ABC’s eight television stations. The company claimed FCC Chairman Brendan Carr used licensing powers to pressure ABC during investigations into The View.
Disney sues the FCC over alleged retaliation against ABC and its programming under the Trump administration
According to The New York Times, Disney’s lawsuit alleges that the FCC “has waged a retaliatory campaign against ABC for a single reason: it disapproves of what ABC broadcasts.”
The dispute centered on an unusual demand involving ABC’s broadcast licenses. Carr required Disney’s eight stations to submit renewal applications years before their normal deadlines.
Disney argued that the FCC had not demanded early renewals for more than 50 years. The company also said officials allowed only 30 days for applications.
The lawsuit linked the move to scrutiny surrounding The View and Disney’s diversity practices. The FCC had questioned whether The View qualified as a bona fide news program.
The agency had also examined ABC’s compliance with equal opportunity rules. Meanwhile, Trump repeatedly criticized ABC programming and its personalities.
Trump previously questioned whether networks should lose licenses for coverage he considered hostile. In December 2025, he asked whether “their very valuable Broadcast Licenses” should get terminated.
The lawsuit also referenced Trump’s criticism after ABC declined to broadcast his July 16 primetime address. ABC instead livestreamed the speech through ABC News LIVE.
Disney argued that the administration ultimately targeted programming rather than licensing concerns. Its lawyers wrote, “The Commission’s true target is not the stations’ employment practices or their carriage of a single presidential address; it is the content of plaintiffs’ programming.”
The filing also highlighted Carr’s public warning toward ABC. The chairman reportedly said, “If you didn’t take us seriously, now you should.”
Disney asked a judge to block the FCC from forcing early license applications. The company also sought a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction.
The clash followed continued Trump criticism of ABC and Jimmy Kimmel. Trump had also attacked The View hosts, adding another layer to the growing Disney ABC lawsuit.
TELL US – DO YOU THINK THE FCC TARGETED ABC’S PROGRAMMING UNDER THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION?
