Tennis Star Nick Kyrgios Suspended Over Cocaine Test as He Admits ‘Huge Mistake’
Photo Credit: Photo by Ben Whitley/PA Images via Getty Images

Tennis Star Nick Kyrgios Suspended Over Cocaine Test as He Admits ‘Huge Mistake’

Nick Kyrgios has allegedly breached the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme. The 31-year-old tennis player has been temporarily suspended after testing positive for cocaine. Following the positive test, Kyrgios said he made “a huge mistake” and takes “full responsibility” for his actions.

Nick Kyrgios takes responsibility for his cocaine positive as he steps away from tennis and social media

Kyrgios, who reached a career-high rank of 13 and is now ranked 919th, gave a sample at the ATP 250 event in Mallorca on June 22. The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) suspended him after the test detected benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.

The agency stated, “While suspended, Kyrgios is not allowed to play in, coach at, or attend any events organised or sanctioned by World Tennis, WTA, ATP, the Grand Slams, or any national association,” reports Just Jared.

Kyrgios publicly addressed the ban on August 19 via his Instagram Story, acknowledging his mistake. He wrote, “I wanted you to hear this from me first. I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine. I made a huge mistake, and I take full responsibility for it. I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors, and everyone close to me. Above all, I’m sorry for the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets, and I’m deeply disappointed in myself.”

He continued, “I’m not going to make excuses, but I do want to give some context about where I’ve been. The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally.” He said that his body had not been able to do what his mind expected and that coming to terms with being near the end of his career had been harder than he had imagined.

The player, a Wimbledon finalist in 2022, wrote that tennis had always been a major part of his life and that letting go of it was one of the hardest things he had faced. He said he had sometimes felt helpless and alone but acknowledged that this did not excuse his actions. Kyrgios described the situation as a “wake-up call” and said he would step away from social media and public life for 28 days to focus on himself.

According to ESPN, Kyrgios could face a ban of up to four years. However, he could receive a shorter suspension under the rules. Cocaine is prohibited during competitions under anti-doping rules. Athletes can face lighter penalties when they use it outside of competition.

TELL US – HOW DO YOU THINK THIS WILL AFFECT KYRGIOS’ CAREER?

Originally reported by Meenakshi Sengupta on Mandatory

TRENDING
X